Over the last two weeks you’ve learned I’ve got a book problem, in my article about my 10 ten favorite personal development books, and my article about my top 5 favorite business books I talk about it. I'm a voracious reader by all accounts. Here’s where things get a little tricky, I believe yoga books are personal development books, but they really need their own category. Here are my top 10 favorite yoga books. These books have developed and changed the way I practice yoga and certainly influenced how I see the world. What would you add to this list?
Additionally, I always advocate getting books from your local bookstore. If you're here in Greensboro, NC Scuppernong Books is fantastic! But if you're in a pinch, or not close I've attached my affiliate links to these books.
10) Om Yoga: a Guide to Daily Practice by Cindi Lee. This is a book I found early on in my yoga life. It helped me create little home practices that I could do quickly or take more time to do. It really helped me create my own home practice which in my opinion is one of the most important things you can do for yourself.
9) Meditations from the Mat: Daily Reflections On The Path of Yoga By Rolf Gates. This book has beautiful reflections for each day of the year through the lens of yoga. This is a great book to read after your daily practice, or to share tidbits with a class.
8) How Yoga Works By Michael Roach. This book is a great book that will give you insight into the teachings of yoga.
7)The Miracle of Mindfulness: An Introduction to the practice of meditation by Thich Nhat Hanh. This is a must read for anyone interested in meditation or mindfulness. It sets the foundation for what mindfulness is and why it’s important.
6)Hip Tranquil Yoga Chick: A Guide to Life on and Off the Yoga Mat by Kimberly Wilson. This book might look trite from it’s pink cover, but it is pack with more practicle wisdom than most other yoga books of our time. This book introduced me to the importance of crafting a personal vision statement and being clear on core values and purpose through the lens of yoga. This book is responsible for much of my personal development over the last 11 years.
5) The Places that Scare you: A Guide to Fearlessness in Difficult Times by Pema Chodron I believe Pema Chodron is one of the wisest souls of our time. Her words, relate, and comfort when things are tough. She reminds us that we are all alone and it’s in our aloneness that we are together. All of her books are a must read getting through difficult times.
4) When Things Fall Apart: Heart felt advice for difficult times by Pema Chodron Another one by Pema that I think is an absolute must read if you are going through tough times or feel alone.
3) Ashtanga Yoga: The Practice Manual by David Swenson There is not better yoga book for creating a rock solid home practice. If you want to learn Ashtanga yoga this is the book for you. Ashtanga is the foundation of my personal practice and this book of mine is literally held together by duck tape because I’ve loved it so hard and used it so much over the last 10 years.
2) The Bhagavad Gita: A New Translation by Stephen Mitchell will teach you an epic poem who’s message is that you should do your work, give it up to god and not be attached to the fruits of your labor. This metaphor is applicable to anything worth doing in your life.
1) The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice By T.K.V. Desikachar. This is a must read for any student of yoga. if you’re beginning your practice of yoga or if you’re a seasoned yogi this is a must read, and a must reread. I think I’ve read this one 3-4 times and every time I learn something new. Every time I see a new layer to what Desikachar is saying. In my opinion it’s one of the most brilliant yoga books ever written and this book is a gift that will keep on giving in your life if you allow yourself to revisit it at different stages.
What would you add to this list? What are the books that have been most influential to our business or in your work?